Can I offer a warm welcome back to school to all our pupils and to our new S1 pupils who join us this year. We look forward to another busy and successful session for our school.
- SQA Examination Results
Congratulations to our pupils who have worked very hard to achieve outstanding examination results. The results for the school have improved on previous years.
In S5, 78% of pupils achieved at least one Higher Grade pass, this is our best ever performance.
In S6, 26% of pupils achieved at least one Advanced Higher grade pass, this is an increase on previous years.
Overall the SQA results are excellent and are a testament to the hard work of our pupils and staff.
- School Uniform
We enjoy good support from parents in maintaining our school dress code and we are determined not to let standards slip. We will continue to insist that pupils come to school properly dressed and we ask for your continued support with this.
As a number of parents have generously handed in blazers to the school we may be able to provide blazers in some situations.
- Option Choices
Pupils should have made final decisions by now about which courses they will study. If you have any concerns or questions about the subjects and levels your son or daughter is studying, please contact the school as soon as possible as the sooner we make any changes the better.
We have a number of new staff joining us this session:-
- Rhianna Brennan - Biology / Lindsey McIntyre - Music
- John Campbell - Computing / Carole McLaughlin - English
- Pauline Goodfellow - Home Economics / Luke Nuttall - Mathematics
- Stephanie McGeough - Modern Studies / Simon Steel - English
- Brian McGowan - Modern Languages / Lucy Wright - Business Studies/Computing
- Choral Shield
Well done to the cast of the Choral Shield for fantastic performances at the end of last term. Thank you to the audience who raised over £940.58 for St Andrew’s Hospice.
- Parents' Association
We have a very active Parents’ Association who meet each month and work to support the school. I would encourage parents and guardians to come along and find out more about our school.
The Association meets at 7.30 pm on Mondays and the meeting dates for this session are 10 September, 12 November, 14 January, 11 March and 13 May.
More information can be found on our website www.dalzielhigh.org.uk
- Developing Young Workforce(DYW) & Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths
Dalziel High School are looking for any parents/guardians who would like to be involved in our DYW & STEM Programmes that are extremely successful within the school.
We are looking for parent representation on our committees. There are already a few parents who have expressed interest. If you would like to become involved, please contact:
Mrs Margaret Craw (Physics Teacher)email address: email@example.com
- Subscribe to Monthly Newsletter
Please note that on our school website, www.dalzielhigh.org.uk, you can register to have the Rector’s Monthly Newsletter e-mailed to you.
We would also like to remind parents/pupils that we have introduced the Dalziel High School App
- the App can be downloaded by scanning the QR code
- it can also be downloaded by visiting either the Apple App store, or the Google Play store and searching ‘SSA’ or ‘SSA secondaryschoolapp’
- once it is opened search for ‘Dalziel High School’
When you open your App, all of the information that relates to you will be displayed on the home page. This is an exciting new opportunity for the school to engage with parents and pupils through the use of modern technology.
- Bagpipe Lessons
Mr Ross Cowan will be in school each Friday afternoon to offer bagpipe lessons to S1 pupils. S1 pupils who are interested should give their names to the Music department.
- Parent / Guardian Messages for Pupils
Could I kindly ask that parents phoning the school with messages for their child/children please keep these to essential messages only.
- Annual Data Check Forms
Data check forms and pupil contracts have been issued to pupils and I would be grateful if these could be completed, signed and returned to the School Office as soon as possible.
- PE Uniform
The PE uniform was introduced 3 years ago and is worn by S1, S2, S3 and S4 pupils. These are available from the Motherwell Football Club shop and online from PSL Sports. This will eventually be rolled out to all year groups. Full details are available from the PE Department.
- PE Policy
The PE department continue to operate the “All Change” Policy which will increase teaching time, pupil engagement, involvement and learning. All pupils must bring their kit and get changed. There is no requirement for a parental excuse note. Full details of the new policy are available from the PE department.
- School Photographs
Your son/daughter will have their photograph taken on the date listed below in ‘dates for your diary’. An order form has been attached to the bottom of this newsletter and I would ask that pupils bring the completed tear-off slip and their payment to be given to the photographer only on their designated day. These should not be handed in to the School Office.
- Dates For Your Diary
- Monday 3 September AM - S2 School Photographs
- Monday 3 September PM - S5 School Photographs
- Tuesday 4 September AM - S1 School Photographs
- Tuesday 4 September PM - S6 and School/House Officials School Photographs
- Wednesday 5 September AM - S4 School Photographs
- Thursday 6 September AM - S3 School Photographs
- Thursday 6 September - Parent Council Meeting – 7.00 pm
- Monday 10 September - Parents’ Association – 7.30 pm
- Friday 21 September - Holiday
- Monday 24 September - Holiday
- Tuesday 25 September - S2 Reports issued
- Wednesday 26 September - S5/6 Positive Destinations Evening
- Thursday 27 September - S4 Reports issued