Can I offer a warm welcome back to school to all our pupils and to our new S1 pupils who join us this year. We look forward to another busy and successful session for our school.
- SQA Examination Results
Congratulations to our pupils who have worked very hard to achieve outstanding examination results. The results for the school have improved on previous years.
In S5, 88% of pupils achieved at least one Higher Grade pass.
In S6, 63% of pupils achieved at least three Higher Grade passes and 46% of pupils achieved five Higher passes.
Overall the SQA results are excellent and are a testament to the hard work of our pupils and staff.
- School Uniform
We enjoy good support from parents in maintaining our school dress code and we are determined not to let standards slip. We will continue to insist that pupils come to school properly dressed and we ask for your continued support with this.
As a number of parents/carers have generously handed in blazers to the school we are able to provide blazers in some situations.
- Option Choices
Pupils should have made final decisions by now about which courses they will study. If you have any concerns or questions about the subjects and levels your son or daughter is studying, please contact the school as soon as possible as the sooner we make any changes the better.
We have a number of new staff joining us this session:-
- Ross Carrol - Physics
- Conor Devine - Maths
- Rasha Farrell - ASNA
- Sarah Hughes - English
- Robert McLean - Physics
- Kevin O’Hagan - PT Technical
- Fiona Reid - HID
- Mark Thomson - Technical Technician
- Gary Ward - Technical
- Choral Shield
Well done to the cast of the Choral Shield for fantastic performances at the end of last term. Thank you to the audience who raised over £791.31 for St Andrew’s Hospice.
- Parents' Association
We have a very active Parents’ Association who meet each month and work to support the school. I would encourage parents and carers to come along and find out more about our school.
The Association meets at 7.30 pm on Mondays and the meeting dates for this session are 9 September, 11 November, 13 January, 9 March and 11 May.
More information can be found on our website www.dalzielhigh.org.uk
- Subscribe to Monthly Newsletter
Please note that on our school website, www.dalzielhigh.org.uk, you can register to have the Rector’s Monthly Newsletter e-mailed to you.
- School App
We would also like to remind parents/pupils that we have a Dalziel High School App.
The App can be downloaded visiting either the Apple App store, or the Google Play store and searching ‘SSA’ or ‘SSA secondaryschoolapp’. Once it is opened, search for ‘Dalziel High School’.
When you open your App, all of the information that relates to you will be displayed on the home page.
- This App forms an integral part of sharing information regarding school life.
- Notifications are sent on a regular basis informing of important homework tasks and assignment deadlines.
- Whole school news and activities, along with up to date information on all events are also sent out as notifications.
- By selecting the filter icon at the top of the App each parent and pupil is able to personalise their App so that only information relating to their specific classes/year group will be received.
- Along with notifications, staff are able to send events straight to the calendar within the App. Parents and pupils can then save these events to their own personalised calendar within their own phone or tablet.
- There are also News and information sections that will keep parents/pupils updated.
Please also follow us on twitter @dalzielhigh for our latest news.
This is a great opportunity for the school to engage with parents/carers and pupils through the use of technology.
- Bagpipe Lessons
- Mr Ross Cowan will be in school each Friday afternoon to offer bagpipe lessons to S1 pupils. S1 pupils who are interested should give their names to the Music department.
- Parent/Carer Messages for Pupils
Could I kindly ask that parents/carers phoning the school with messages for their child/children please keep these to essential messages only.
- Annual Data Check Form
Data check forms and pupil contracts have been issued to pupils and I would be grateful if these could be completed, signed and returned to the School Office as soon as possible.
- PE Uniform
The PE uniform was introduced several years ago and is worn by S1-S5 pupils and are available from the PE Department.
- PE Policy
The PE department continues to operate the “All Change” Policy which will increase teaching time, pupil engagement, involvement and learning. All pupils must bring their kit and get changed. There is no requirement for a parental excuse note. Full details of the new policy are available from the PE department.
- School Photographs
Your son/daughter will have their photograph taken on the date listed below in ‘dates for your diary’. An order form has been handed out with this newsletter and I would ask that pupils bring the completed tear-off slip and their payment to be given to the photographer only on their designated day. These should not be handed in to the School Office.
- Dates For Your Diary
- Thursday 5 September - Parent Council Meeting – 7.00 pm
- Monday 9 September - Parents’ Association – 7.30 pm
- Monday 9 September AM - S2 School Photographs
- Tuesday 10 September AM - S1 School Photographs
- Wednesday 11 September AM - S3 School Photographs
- Thursday 12 September AM - S4 School Photographs
- Friday 13 September AM - S5/6 School Photographs
- Wednesday 25 September - S5/6 Positive Destinations Evening
- Thursday 26 September - S4 Tracking Report 1 issued
- Friday 27 September - Holiday
- Monday 30 September - Holiday